Saturday, April 08, 2006

Weekend Photoblogging


Comfy
Originally uploaded by urtica.

This garlic mustard plant (Alliaria petiolata) is one of several living happily under a small group of pine trees at Faxon Park in Quincy, MA. In fact, this invasive plant perfectly at home in the forest understory, where animals or humans can introduce its seeds while trekking through. In areas subject to flooding, garlic mustard invasion is often quite alarming in its speed and breadth, but in this upland park the species just continues its slow, clumping spread.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well what do you know, my most hated foe. My entire wooded property is infested; I thought I had it pushed back for a while there, but this past year the population just exploded. Several entire hillsides are solid green with rosettes.

Someday I'm going to lose the war, if I haven't already.

April said...

Plant fescue. Garlic mustard can't compete with it. Then you simply burn off the clumps of fescue, fescue can't stand burning. Do this in successive springs. This is how we control garlic mustard where I do volunteer woodland restoration. Works like a charm.

They're also releasing a bio-control beetle to control garlic mustard. It will be interesting to see how they work.

Anonymous said...

Class A noxious plant alert!

So that's what it looks like. I see from USDA plants that it's now in Georgia, and I'm going to have to start watching out for it.

April - what kind of fescue?