Wednesday, September 05, 2007
New And Notable
Recent arrivals in the US and beyond:
- The Suriname toad (Pipa pipa) was discovered in Puerto Rico.
- The Quagga mussel (Dreissena rostriformis bugensis) continues to be sighted in Southern California. Also, a Dreissena sp. was discovered in Arizona - the first record for the genus in that state.
- The Oriental weatherfish (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus) has been discovered in a small pond in New Jersey.
- India has a new species of fruit fly (Bactrocera invadens), the same one that has been spreading across Africa.
- Pink meadowsweet (Spiraea alba 'rosea') has naturalized in Belgium (via the ALIENS-L listserver)
Labels: Africa, amphibians, Arizona, fish, India, insects, mussels, New Jersey, plants, Puerto Rico, quagga mussels, zebra mussels
Post a Comment