Almost a year to the day, someone in the Yahoo! group for the ma-eppc recently asked about last year's diatribe by Burpee Seed Company President George Ball, regarding "botanical xenophobes" and how we're all misinformed and overreacting to non-native plants. Ball was wrong on so many accounts...read my original post for details.
After sending Burpee a passionate email (to which they never responded) I pledged last year to boycott the company, and it saddened me to bypass Burpee seeds, always my favorite in the past, for other seeds when I started my garden this season. Ah, the bad memories! Well, if they're getting dredged up for me, they're getting dredged up for you too:
- A link to the original Op-Ed piece in the New York Times, and the later posting on Burpee's website (the content was the same last time I checked). (3/19/2006)
- My original post on the subject, including links to the two opposing views printed in the Times Letters to the Editor section. (3/19/2006)
- An update with links to bloggers blogging about Ball. (3/26/2006)
- Queries and protests about the Op-Ed piece by searching the ma-eppc listserver for "Burpee."
- "George Ball - Deceitful, Greedy, Inept?" An excellent fresh blog post and comment thread on the subject from the appropriately named Garden Rant. (3/8/2007)
- A great response to George Ball over at Invasive Notes. (11/14/2006)