Friday, December 14, 2007
New And Notable
The latest and greatest in species introductions:
Sources: The EPPO Reporting Service #10 and the USGS NAS Alert system.
- Sudden oak death (Phytophthora ramorum) was discovered in Lithuania, in nursery stock imported from Poland. The plants are under quarantine so hopefully the pathogen won't be sticking around.
- The Asian hornet Vespa velutina has been discovered in France. This hornet species is not much of a direct nuisance to humans, but unfortunately they like to eat honeybees.
- They've found another Chinese mitten crab (Eriocheir sinensis) in New York, second one ever.
- There are a bunch of new discoveries in Puerto Rico, and as usual, they sound like the selection you'd find at your local aquarium store:
- Also new to Puerto Rico: water spangles (Salvinia minima)
Labels: aquarium, aquatic plants, fish, France, insects, Lithuania, New York, plants, Puerto Rico
Post a Comment