Monday, July 26, 2004

East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet?

Officials in Alaska are sounding the alarms again, after the capture of yet another Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar), this time in a gillnet at a commercial fishery near Thorne Bay. The press release has a photo of the actual offending fish, along with instructions on how to identify Atlantic salmon and what to do if you catch one.

This story reminded me of when my husband and I traveled to Seattle back in May. After a long, direct flight across the country, my Great Aunt and Uncle picked us up and took us straight to lunch. We were greeted by an incredibly perky waitress, who smiled at us and announced that the special of the day was Atlantic salmon. At this point I started laughing hysterically, probably in part because I hadn't slept in about 22 hours. But it just seemed really funny to me that anyone on the West coast would ever want farmed Atlantic salmon. Especially after we dined on wild caught Pacific salmon later that week.

The ISW first posted about this subject back in May 2002.

No comments: