Thursday, November 22, 2007

Gobbles!

Bits of turkey from an invasive species perspective:

  • The Windsor Star is reporting that the emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis) has been discovered in Turkey Point, the furthest east the beetle has even been seen in the province of Ontario, Canada.
  • Turkeyfish (Pterois volitans, also known as lionfish) are establishing off the coast of Georgia. LiveScience has more, plus a pretty picture.
  • invasive.org has got the scoop on turkey berry (Solanum torvum), an invasive plant from the West Indies that has spread into tropical areas around the globe.

  • Get even more turkeyfish over at the cephalopodcast blog, where Jason is serving up some tasty Turkey Day morsels.

1 comment:

Mark LaFlamme said...

What a great site. I wish I'd discovered you while I was researching my novel "Vegetation," the story of a man at war with the plant kingdom. One of the stars of the show is Hydrilla (that'll be a hard role to cast when the movie comes out.) I found a good piece about that particular species right here. Good stuff.
More about Vegetation can be found at the link below, if you're interested. I really should have checked in with Ms. Orth before I wrote those pivotal scenes.

www.marklaflamme.com/vegetation.html