What better way to spend your time off this week than to check out some...
Recently published journal articles:General
- "Introspection-Invasive Species as Ecological Threat: Is Restoration an Alternative to Fear-based Resource Management?" by Paul H. Gobster. Ecological Restoration. 23(4), pp. 261-270. (.pdf)
- "Eco-Defense against Invasions" by Virginia Gewin. Public Library of Science: Biology. 3(12), e429. (An article with a Creative Commons license, published in an open source journal - Thanks budak!)
- "The Human Dimensions of Biotic Homogenization" by JULIAN D. OLDEN, MICHAEL E. DOUGLAS, AND MARLIS R. DOUGLAS. Conservation Biology. 19(6), 2036-2038. (.pdf)
- "Synergistic impact of water level fluctuation and invasion of Glyceria on Typha in a freshwater marsh of Lake Ontario" by Anhua Wei and Patricia Chow-Fraser. Aquatic Botany. 84(1), pp. 63-69.
- "ALIEN PLANT DYNAMICS FOLLOWING FIRE IN MEDITERRANEAN-CLIMATE CALIFORNIA SHRUBLANDS" by Jon E. Keeley, Melanie Baer-Keeley, and C. J. Fotheringham. Ecological Applications. 15(6), pp. 2109-2125.
- "Regeneration of Native Trees in the Presence of Invasive Saltcedar in the Colorado River Delta, Mexico" by PAMELA L. NAGLER, OSVEL HINOJOSA-HUERTA, EDWARD P. GLENN, JAQUELINE GARCIA-HERNANDEZ, REGGIE ROMO, CHARLES CURTIS, ALFREDO R. HUETE, AND STEPHEN G. NELSON. Conservation Biology. 19(6), pp. 1842+.
- "ERADICATION OF INVASIVE TAMARIX RAMOSISSIMA ALONG A DESERT STREAM INCREASES NATIVE FISH DENSITY" by Theodore A. Kennedy, Jacques C. Finlay, and Sarah E. Hobbie. Ecological Applications. 15(6), pp. 2072-2083. (saltcedar)
- "Biomass dynamics of exotic Sargassum muticum and native Halidrys siliquosa in Limfjorden, Denmark—Implications of species replacements on turnover rates" by Morten Foldager Pedersen, Peter Anton Stæhr, Thomas Wernberg and Mads Solgaard Thomsen. Aquatic Botany. 83(1), pp. 31-47.
- "ECOLOGICAL RESISTANCE TO BIOLOGICAL INVASION OVERWHELMED BY PROPAGULE PRESSURE" by Betsy Von Holle, and Daniel Simberloff. Ecology. 86(12), pp. 3212-3218.
- "Altered drying regime controls distribution of endangered salamanders and introduced predators" by Timothy J. Maret, Jonathan D. Snyder and James P. Collins. Biological Conservation. 127(2), pp. 129-138. (introduced fish and bullfrogs - Thanks nuthatch!)
- "Effects of Urbanization on the Distribution and Abundance of Amphibians and Invasive Species in Southern California Streams" by SETH P. D. RILEY, GARY T. BUSTEED, LEE B. KATS, THOMAS L. VANDERGON, LENA F. S. LEE, ROSI G. DAGIT, JACOB L. KERBY, ROBERT N. FISHER, AND RAYMOND M. SAUVAJOT. Conservation Biology. 19(6), 1894+. (introduced crayfish and fish)
- "INVESTIGATING THE POPULATION-LEVEL EFFECTS OF CHYTRIDIOMYCOSIS: AN EMERGING INFECTIOUS DISEASE OF AMPHIBIANS" by Cheryl J. Briggs, Vance T. Vredenburg, Roland A. Knapp, and Lara J. Rachowicz. Ecology. 86(12), pp. 3149-3159. (chytrid fungus)
- "Global Analysis of Factors Affecting the Outcome of Freshwater Fish Introductions" by Jennifer L. Ruesink. Conservation Biology. 19(6), 1883+.
- "INTRODUCTION OF NON-NATIVE OYSTERS: Ecosystem Effects and Restoration Implications" by Jennifer L. Ruesink, Hunter S. Lenihan, Alan C. Trimble, Kimberly W. Heiman, Fiorenza Micheli, James E. Byers, and Matthew C. Kay. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics. 36, pp. 643-689.
- "Niche-based modelling as a tool for predicting the risk of alien plant invasions at a global scale" by WILFRIED THUILLER, DAVID M. RICHARDSON, PETR PYŠEK, GUY F. MIDGLEY, GREG O. HUGHES and MATHIEU ROUGET. Global Change Biology. 11(12), pp. 2234+.
- "CONTEXT-DEPENDENT BIOLOGICAL CONTROL OF AN INVASIVE THISTLE " by Katriona Shea, Dave Kelly, Andrew W. Sheppard, and Tim L. Woodburn. Ecology. 86(12), pp. 3174-3181.
- "MATRIX MODEL INVESTIGATION OF INVASIVE SPECIES CONTROL: BULLFROGS ON VANCOUVER ISLAND" by Purnima Govindarajulu, Res Altwegg, and Bradley R. Anholt. Ecological Applications. 15(6), pp. 2161-2170. (Rana catesbeiana)